More than 30 families affected by the October floods in Dublin and Wicklow have received aid from the Irish Red Cross (IRC).
The IRC launched the ‘Irish Floods’ appeal to aid those who were affected by the flooding in on Monday, October 24th. Fintan Breen, Head of National Services at the IRC said donations started coming in straight away "We're seeing a range of situations. In one house, the roof of the kitchen collapsed in. There are also places where people are living in one room because the rest of the rooms were damaged or destroyed"
The charity has distributed an average of up to €1,000 per family, with more than 30 households so far in receipt of the money.
Breen said the Red Cross is liaising with the Department of Social Protection and community welfare officers as it allocates the funds "They are providing us with this information so that we can identify those most in need.”
The flash floods that hit Dublin and Wicklow, claiming two lives, were among the worst to hit the region. In addition to the charitable donations, the Government announced a €10m fund to provide financial support to the victims.
Householders who suffered damage to their homes and contents applied for assistance, which was be means-tested before receiving support from the Irish Red Cross.
The Irish Red Cross has an extensive network of volunteers throughout Ireland who act as an auxiliary to the State. During the night of flooding and the days following the IRC was put on standby as part of the Major Emergency Management plan. In Wicklow, the IRC Glen of Imaal mountain rescue team formed part of the search and rescue operation in Blessington.
Please note: The Irish Red Cross Floods Appeal has now closed (November 21st 2011).
Any persons wishing to apply for aid should contact their local Community Welfare Officer.