Blood loss can be serious and should be treated as quickly as possible.
Your aim is to stem the flow of blood. Wear disposable gloves if available.
Check if there is an object embedded in the wound.
If there is NOTHING embedded:
1. Press on the wound with your hand over a clean pad.
2. Secure with a bandage.
3. Raise the wound above the level of the heart.
4. Call for ambulance.
If SOMETHING is embedded
1. Do not press on the object.
2. Instead, press either side of the object and build up padding around it before bandaging to avoid putting pressure on the object itself.
3. Get the person to hospital as quickly as possible.
To learn more about first aid for your family book an Irish Red Cross course near you today 1890 502 502 or firstname.lastname@example.org