WHAT IS THE TAX-RELIEF SCHEME
If you are a tax payer* in Ireland and have given €250 or more to the Irish Red Cross in the course of a tax year, your donation(s) can be worth 45% more at no extra cost to you.
The CHY3 tax form is valid for five years and doesn’t commit you to make any future donations. It simply enables the Irish Red Cross to claim tax back for any year which you gave €250 or more – without having to send you a form each year.
And we can claim tax back for the past four years – so, if you donated four years ago, this year is our last chance to claim the tax on it.
* Resident in Ireland, paying income tax (PAYE or self-assessed) or capital acquisitions/gains tax
WHAT YOU HAVE TO DO
Please visit https://myredcrosstaxback.ie and follow the simple instructions there to securely complete and submit your form online.
1) Adding your PPS number at the top of the form
2) Sign and date the form
3) Return to: Irish Red Cross, Freepost FDN2719, 16 Merrion Square, Dublin 2
Email email@example.com or Freephone 1800 50 70 70 and we’ll post a form to you.
WHAT YOUR DONATIONS ARE WORTH
The rate of tax relief for charities is a blended rate of 31% for all donors, irrespective of the actual tax rate paid.
The gross donation is determined to be 100%/ (100% - 31%) = 144.93% of the net donation, so the tax relief works out as 44.93% of the net donation – i.e. approximately 45% of what you paid.
HOW TAX RELIEF HELPS YOUR DONATION GROW
|The value of your donation||Increase after Tax|
The tax-relief is only limited by these factors in the year in question:
1) How much tax you paid, less any refunds to date
2) A cap of €1,000,000 on your total eligible donations to charity
3) In the case of people ‘associated’ with the charity (employees and members of the charity or associated bodies) the relief is capped at 10% of your income.